Sports betting: Meet the guy who lost a $5K bet at Monmouth

October 26, Monmouth Park raceway - Legal sports betting in New Jersey to begin!

October 26, Monmouth Park raceway - Legal sports betting in New Jersey to begin! submitted by TorroSports to gambling [link] [comments]

Preview of the Charlie Whittingham; Triple Bend and more

Saturday May 25, 2019
Monmouth Park
Race: 9 (4:31 PM EST Post)
Salvator Mile
Although Sunny Ridge is just 1 for 9 over the past two years, it must be noted he’s been running against much better (Page McKinney, Yoshida, Patternrecogintion, Vino Rosso etc) in most of those races and has hit the board in most of those spots. This gray, now eight year old by Holy Bull likes this track and his last race was “sneaky” good……………………..In taking Sunny Ridge, Diamond King scares the daylights out of me. This handsome son of Quality Road buried mid-level optionals in his 2019 debut. I loved the way he then dug in and fought valiantly in deep stretch of the three turn, Charles Town Classic in his last while just missing winning. Also, you get two of my more favorite angles with him including the third start off a layoff and he drops in class/cuts back in distance. Looms a major threat here……………………..There are several things to like about Bal Harbour in this race too. Gelding by First Samurai has the back class to win this, stretches out to his optimal distance (4-3-1-0 at one mile) and he ran very well (win) in his only try on this oval. Do not be so fast to throw him out………………………Honorable Mentions: California Night has won three of his last four and absolutely ran a hole in the wind in his last. I’m just not sure he can handle the step up in class here though…….....……..Jeezum Jim looks to be the controlling speed in this spot but he’ll have to break from the extreme outside and, although he is an 11 time winner, he has been beaten consistently by lesser foes. $5,000 sales purchase, who has banked over $300,000 (hell of a ROI), could still be “hanging and banging” down the lane if left alone on an uncontested lead.

Race: 11 (5:32 PM EST Post
Monmouth Stakes
Synchrony has hit the board in 12 of 14 career starts (14-6-2-4) and is 3-2-1-0 on the Monmouth Turf Course. Pay no attention to his last sub par effort as it was in a Grade:1 race, against pro-tem male grass division leader Bricks and Mortar and, most importantly, it was run over an off turf course. This six year old CLEARLY does his best running on firm turf courses and the weather on the Jersey shore is supposed to be nice this weekend……………….Monarchs Glen looks to be a serious contender in here as well. Good looking gelding by superstar Frankel missed the break in his U.S. debut but was quietly making up ground late while running a strong :23.2 final quarter mile. He also gets the services of arguably the best grass rider in the country. A “must use” for me in this spot…………………….Up the Ante possesses the oh-so-important versatility as he can beat you from on or off the pace. This $350,000 son of Smart Strike ran big in his first start in almost nine months as he was coming late, on the outside, to finish second in a race where the mile distance was run in a hot 1:33.2. Chestnut colt from the “CC” barn should be tighter for this and has either been first of second in six of seven tries on the turf………………………..Honorable Mentions: After a huge effort in none other than the Arlington Million last year, Almanaar has done very little since. Although his speed figures say otherwise, it appears to me he has cycled out of form. Bottom line here is I have no clue what to expect from him on Saturday afternoon but he’s one of those horses who is tough to bet but also tough to bet against…………………After three bad efforts to end 2018, Force the Pass did show some signs of life in his 2019 debut. Seven year old by wide spectrum sire Speightstown made a bold run leaving the three eighths pole but hung like a cheap suit in deep stretch. This millionaire has hit the board in 14 of 18 turf starts and mirrors Almanaar in the sense he is tough to play and tough to play against………………………Irish Strait’s last race was impressive (won a stretch duel, while getting a mile in 1:33.4). But he’ll be stepping up in class here and has had problems stringing wins together in the past………………Markitoff is just 2 for 24 in his career but can pop a big race now and again as witnessed by running Brick and Mortar to a nose (loss) at 63-1 two starts back.

Santa Anita Park
Race: 7 (7:03 PM EST Post)
Charlie Whittingham
United- quietly looks to be sitting on a big race. With just six career starts, he is by far the most inexperienced horse in this race but his last two races were excellent. Although he only beat $40,000 optionals two starts back, he rallied nicely, late to run a mile in 1:33.2 but it was his last race that caught my attention. This time, against optional $62,500s, he passed six horses in the last quarter mile of that race while running that distance in a very good :23.1. Toss in the third start off the layoff angle, and a rider switch to Prat, and it appears this $300,000 son of the late, great Giant’s Causeway is your winner………………Marckie’s Water ran an off the charts 110 Brisnet number two starts back and even though “bouncing” in his last (95 Brisnet), he was still able to handle $80,000 optionals. Bottom line here is this five year old is in good form right now and four of his five career wins came on this very turf course……………….. Prime Attraction has speed, the rail, can handle the turf and drops in class off three straight Grade: 1 races. He could make some noise in this well matched field……………….Honorable Mentions: Ashleyluvssugar owned the West Coast grass division a few years back but has clearly lost a step or two ..or possibly three…as he is 0 for his last nine and 0 for 2018 and 2019……………Tizzarunner was 5-0-0-0 and made a whopping $13,000 in 2018 but did finish right behind Marckie’s Water in his 2019 debut. Was that a sign of bigger things to come?

Race: 8 (7:33PM EST Post)
Triple Bend Stakes
American Anthem carved out fast early fractions but was run down in deep stretch at Churchill Downs on Derby Day in his 2019 debut. However, now this Bob Baffert trainee returns to his favorite surface, cuts back to what is clearly his best distance (4 for 5 at 7 furlongs), has a race under his belt and “Big Money Mike” gets the leg up. I want to say “should make every pole a winning one in this spot” but I’m not sure what the race strategy will look like with big speed right next to him………………….If you draw a line through Nero’s effort in the Malibu Stakes (overmatched), you’ll see he sports a record of 6-3-3-0. Now take note of the three straight monstebullet works in the month of May from this $950,000 son of Pioneerof The Nile and you should come up with a serious contender in this spot…………………… The Hardest Way ran a hole in the wind while winning by almost 7 lengths in his first start in 13 months last time out. The 49 days since that race and his subsequent works suggest there will be no bounce in this spot…figures bang up here ………………… Honorable Mentions: All Out Blitz has ability and likes this track (6-1-3-1 over it). …could be a menace………….If you are looking to play Cistron off his off the charts, 7-1 upset win in the Kona Gold Stakes last time out, proceed with caution. Yes, perhaps it was the surface change that helped him but a closer look shows he has been nothing special on the dirt in the past (7-2-0-1). This leads me to think that was a “freak” effort and is set up to bounce over the moon in this spot.

By: Gerard Apadula
Director of Equine Operations and Development
Knights of the Round Stable Thoroughbred Racing Team

[[email protected]](mailto:[email protected])

2019- Record: 26-84 = 31%
2018- Record: 107-261= 41%
2017- Record: 92-235 = 39%
2016- Record: 91-229 = 40%
2015- Record: 67-180 = 37%
2014- Record: 29-73 = 40%
2013- Record: 20-59= 34%
2012 -Record: 24-73= 33%
2011 –Record: N/A
2010- Record: 24-74= 33%

Little Bets N’ Pieces
**** Owner Gary West has confirmed that Maximum Security, who was disqualified from first in the Kentucky Derby, will not be headed to New York for the Belmont Stakes.
West said the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park remains the next start for handsome bay.
West added that the $150,000 Pegasus Stakes going 1 1/16 miles at Monmouth June 16 could be used as a prep for the July 20 Haskell.
"We are not looking at the Belmont because (trainer Jason Servis) says Maximum Security needs more time to fully recover," West said last Sunday. "We care a lot about our horses, and therefore we let them tell us when they are ready to run. Our ultimate goal is to give Maximum Security the opportunity to be 3-year-old champion, and everything we do will be to that end”.

**** Tacitus, the gorgeous gray colt who rallied from 16th to finish fourth in the Derby but was moved up to third via disqualification, breezed in company with Grade 3 winner Multiplier last Monday.
Tacitus settled a length back off his stable-mate through a quarter-mile in :24 3/5 but moved up to even terms down the lane, with both grays officially clocked in :48.3 for the half-mile drill and out five furlongs in 1:01 2/5.
"It all went smoothly. It was his first breeze back and exactly what we wanted," said trainer Bill Mott. "It's what I expected. They look like a good team together."
"We were very happy with Tacitus' effort in the Derby. We always suspected he'd do well at a mile and a quarter," said Mott.
* While in the Mott’s barn, Country House was examined at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., and returned to Churchill Downs last Wednesday. Mott said he will take his time with Country House before deciding on where the Derby winner will make his next start.
"He's just been walking under tack," Mott said. "I'll leave him there for a couple weeks. I want to make sure he's healthy before we move him and make sure everything is good as it should be."

**** Kentucky Oaks winner Serengeti Empress returned to the work tab last Friday recording a half-mile drill in :48 flat at Churchill Downs.
Trained by Tom Amoss, the daughter of Alternation clicked off splits of :12 2/5, :24 1/5, and :36 2/5 before galloping out to five furlongs in 1:00 4/5 and completing her work with six furlongs in 1:14.
"I thought she really looked super this morning," said Amoss, who reported Serengeti Empress could make her next start in the June 8
Acorn Stakes (G1) at Belmont Park. "We're still on target and letting her tell us what to do next."
submitted by aspen222 to horseracing [link] [comments]

NJ lawmakers considering $100 million bailout for horse racing

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 73%. (I'm a bot)
TRENTON - Seven years after then-Gov. Chris Christie stripped away the $17 million annual purse supplement New Jersey's horse racing industry received from Atlantic City casinos, Trenton lawmakers are moving to replace the shortfall with money from taxpayers.
Monmouth Park in Oceanport would receive $10 million for purses and $6 million would go to the Meadowlands.
Freehold Raceway, a standardbred track, would get $1.6 million for purses, while another $1.8 million would go toward the New Jersey sire stakes program.
The Meadowlands and Monmouth Park have combined sports betting revenues of $22.6 million, including $15.2 million at the Meadowlands and $7.4 million at Monmouth Park.
In the deal, Gural gets the first $6 million of net revenue from the FanDuel Sportsbook, with the horsemen getting 25 percent of everything over $6 million.
"With a bill for a five-year, $100 million purse appropriation scheduled to be introduced in the legislature shortly, we are all hopeful that we will be able to continue our good work with the SBOA and bring the Meadowlands back to its stature as a premier racing venue," Gural said.
Summary Source | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: million#1 purse#2 Meadowlands#3 sports#4 Monmouth#5
Post found in /news, /The_Donald, /NewJerseyuncensored and /sportsbetting.
NOTICE: This thread is for discussing the submission topic. Please do not discuss the concept of the autotldr bot here.
submitted by autotldr to autotldr [link] [comments]

[OC] History of Service Teams and the Service Academies during World War II

Being a longtime supporter of college football and the military, it's not surprising that the service academies have piqued my interest. When looking through history, it's interesting to read about how college football endured the years of World War II, including the formation of service teams on military bases. Out of curiosity, I decided to do some research on the service teams that were formed and the state of college football / service academies during the deadliest war in human history.
1942 saw a shift in mindset in the States. As America increased its involvement in the war from lend-lease to full-scale combat, the home front changed accordingly. With so many college-aged men joining the armed services, this led to a new era (that lasted for about three years) for schools and college sports, especially college football. The following writeup will go into as much detail as I could find about teams established on military bases and the service academies during this era.
Service Teams
After the United States entered World War II, college enrollment rates dropped sharply as college-aged men were either drafted or enlisted in the military. Sports like football were especially affected, as rosters shrank and schools were forced to either play six-man football or drop their programs entirely; in 1943 alone, almost 200 colleges shut down their football teams. As enrollment continued to fall, the government established the V-12 Navy College Training Program and the Army Specialized Training Program, allowing servicemen to attend college in addition to pursuing their military careers. Those in the V-12 program were also eligible to play college football, which military personnel saw as not only a good form of physical training, but also a way to keep their soldiers entertained when not in combat. The NCAA also passed a new rule allowing freshmen to compete in varsity sports, one that would disappear at the end of the war before returning in 1972.
Wartime college football became what Sports Illustrated writer Charles Einstein described as being played "at two levels, one a kind of enforced de-emphasis among the colleges and universities, and the other—far closer to the collegiate game as it had been known up till then—among teams representing various Army, Navy and Marine installations."
Rosters on the service teams were a mixture of various backgrounds. Although they played against other colleges, the teams featured both college athletes and professional players. For example, in addition to college-aged players, the Camp Davis Blue Brigade (also known as the AAs) featured NFL stars like the New York Giants' Johnny Mellus and the Chicago Bears' Norm Standlee. Teams often faced nearby opponents to avoid having to travel across long distances; one instance of this can be found in Randolph Air Force Base (located in Universal City, Texas), who played against colleges in Texas and Louisiana. When service teams faced off against each other, it's unsurprising for there to be a patriotic flair, especially in game programs.
1942 marked the first season of service teams. Pre-flight and naval schools of existing universities were among the first to have teams established, with the Iowa Pre-Flight Seahawks, Georgia Pre-Flight Skycrackers, Great Lakes Naval Station Bluejackets, Jacksonville Naval Air Station Raiders, North Carolina Pre-Flight Cloudbusters, and the St. Mary’s Pre-Flight Air Devils. The Great Lakes Bluejackets saw plenty of discussion among fans as the 1918 Rose Bowl winners and featuring a schedule against Big Nine Conference teams. However, the Seahawks stormed their way onto the football scene with a 61–0 romp of Kansas in their first game. Iowa Pre-Flight also faced a tough schedule of its own in what some considered a "suicide schedule" against the likes of Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Ohio State. By the end of the year, however, the Seahawks boasted a record of 7–3, while the Raiders led the way with a 9–3 record, followed by North Carolina (8–2–1), Jacksonville (7–1–1), Great Lakes (8–3–1), Iowa (7–3), and St. Mary's (6–3–1). Other service teams who played during the year included the Fort Knox Armoraiders and the Albuquerque Army Air Base Flying Kelleys.
The 1943 season saw service teams being included in the Associated Press polls and national rankings as schools continued to drop the sport. In 1942, over 120 schools fielded teams, but in 1943 as the war was now in full force, only 76 teams played, 13 of which were service teams. In a more unconventional twist, the University of Nevada, Reno continued to play eleven-man football after merging its football team with the Reno Army Air Corps, nicknaming the combined effort the "Flying Wolf Pack". Government Island (now Coast Guard Island), an artificial island off the coast of Alameda, California, serves as the Coast Guard's recruitment center / boot camp, and is the first Coast Guard-affiliated service team upon forming the Alameda Coast Guard Sea Lions. Coached by Lieutenant Joe Verducci, the Sea Lions played seven games that year, losing its first two games to Pacific and Del Monte Pre-Flight by scores of 14–7 and 34–7, respectively, before winning against San Francisco 26–0. The Sea Lions ended the year 4–2–1. 1943 also saw the debut seasons of the Blackland Army and Bryan Army Air Fields, Curtis Bay Coast Guard, Ward Island Marines, Del Monte Pre-Flight Navyators, March Field Flyers, Camps Grant (Warriors), Davis (AAs) and Lejeune (Leathernecks), Forts Douglas, Dupont, Francis E. Warren, Monmouth and Riley (Centaurs).
Meanwhile, Iowa Pre-Flight continued its domination, going 8–0 and ranking as high as second in the AP Poll, but a 14–13 loss to #1 Notre Dame ended its chances of winning the national championship. However, Notre Dame’s own hopes of going undefeated were thwarted by another service team as Great Lakes Naval scored on a late touchdown pass to win 19–14. In the final rankings, seven military-based schools appeared in the top-20: Iowa Pre-Flight (#2), Navy (#4), Great Lakes Naval (#6), March Field (#10), Army (#11), and Bainbridge Naval (#17). Despite being ranked outside of the top-10, Bainbridge Naval was a formidable team in 1943, going undefeated and outscoring opponents 313–7.
Three months after the invasion of Normandy in June, the 1944 college football season kicked off with Great Lakes and Iowa Pre-Flight (1944 game program) continuing their domination, while the North Carolina Pre-Flight Cloudbusters, led by a young Otto Graham and coached by a 31-year-old Naval Lieutenant Commander named Paul Bryant, recorded an upset over Navy 21–14. Other service teams like the Randolph Field Ramblers also found success; the Ramblers (1943 team photo) proved to be exceptionally talented, going 11–0, including a victory over the 2nd Air Force Superbombers in the New York Treasury Bond Bowl and tying in the Cotton Bowl with Texas. Other teams that competed in 1944 are the Fort Warren Bombers, whose first game was against the National Football League's Brooklyn Dodgers; and Amarillo and Lubbock Fields. During the year, other bases who played football included the Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) and Maxwell Field Air Force Base.
By the end of 1944, as the war seemed to be close to ending, the Navy decided to shut down its pre-flight schools, seeing no reason to continue the programs. As it eventually turned out, the war was still long from reaching its conclusion thanks to the start of the Battle of the Bulge in December.
With the pre-flight schools now a thing of history, it did not mark the end of service teams. The Fleet City Naval Receiving Station Bluejackets continued to play, including playing a game as the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum against the Marines of MCAS El Toro in front of 60,000 fans. In the final year of the war, the Army Air Force sponsored up to seven college football programs: in addition to the already-competing 2nd (Superbombers), 3rd (Gremlins), 4th Air Forces, and the Training Command, the Army Air Force fielded teams for the 1st Air Force, the Personnel Distribution Command, and the Air Transport Command.
In October 1945, just a month after the war had officially ended, the Louisiana State Fair had problems with finding schools to play in the annual State Fair Classic, held in Shreveport. The Fair eventually invited the Barksdale Field Sky Raiders, located in nearby Bossier City and who had played in the 1934 Classic, losing 26–6 to Texas Military College. The Sky Raiders were scheduled to play the Selman Army Airfield Cyclones and the Lake Charles Army Airfield Flying Tigers, but the latter backed out and the Camp Swift Dragons took their place. Barksdale lost to Selman Army 13–0, but rebounded a week later with a 46–0 victory over Camp Swift. Two days later, Wiley College took on Randolph Field's African-American team, the Black Ramblers, in the Fair's Negro Day game; Wiley continued the trend of shutouts, winning 26–0.
Besides teams concentrated on service bases, the wartime era also featured all-star teams, who took on both college and professional teams. In 1942, the Army formed two All-Army teams for East and West, nicknamed "Million Dollar Teams" as they sought to raise $1 million for the Army Emergency Relief Fund. The Eastern Army All-Star team, coached by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Neyland, faced NFL teams like the Brookyln Dodgers, Chicago Bears, and New York Giants. The Western team, coached by Major Wallace Wade, played the Giants Chicago Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, and Washington Redskins. In January and October 1945, a Navy All-Star team played games in Pearl Harbor against all-star teams from the Army and the Marines.
Army and Navy
During wartime and considering the performance of the service teams, it is only reasonable for the two major service academies of Army and Navy to display success (sorry to Falcons fans, the Air Force Academy wasn't founded until 1954). The Coast Guard Academy also played football during the war, but did not exhibit as much success; despite two winning seasons in 1942 (3–1) and 1944 (6–3), the Bears were winless in 1943 with an 0–5 record. In a matchup against Army in 1944, Coast Guard was demolished 76–0.
The academies provided potential college students with the opportunity to attend school in addition to preparing for the military instead of going directly into the armed services; some players attended the academies with the hope that doing so would delay their entry into the military long enough and the war would be over by the time they graduated. The two schools picked up former top college players whose schools had dropped their programs. One player, All-American offensive tackle Don Whitmire, transferred to the Naval Academy in 1943 after Alabama elected to undergo a one-year hiatus due to shortages in their roster; he went on to also become an All-American for the Midshipmen, one of just four players in history to be named to the All-America team for two schools. Whitmire's teammate, running back Bob Jenkins, also joined the Naval Academy. In 1942 and 1943, Navy experienced success under head coach Lieutenant Commander John Whelchel, leading the Midshipmen to records of 5–4 and 8–1. Submarine commander Oscar Hagberg became the head coach in 1944. The Midshipmen went 6–3 in his first season, losing to North Carolina Pre-Flight, Georgia Tech, and Army.
However, it was Navy’s rival, the United States Military Academy (Army), who dominated the decade. After an abysmal 1–7–1 season in 1940, the academy decided to abolish a rule prohibiting civilians from coaching the Cadets and former West Point student Earl "Red" Blaik took over the Cadets' head coaching position in 1941, turning the program into one of the best in the nation. Blaik went as far as to request suspending another athletic rule, one that required players to be below 181 pounds, in order to ensure the team stayed competitive. As the Naval Academy did not have this requirement, the Military Academy obliged. In Blaik’s first year, the team went 5–3–1 as he won Coach of the Year honors. Over the next two years, the Cadets improved in record by one win before breaking through in 1944. That year was considered Army's "year of retribution," as the Cadets not only went undefeated en route to the national title, but crushed every opponent, none of whom were able to score more than seven points. Over the first eight games, the Cadets had outscored their opponents 481–28.
In the first of three wartime head-to-head games between the service academies in 1942 (game program), conditions were marred by travel restrictions as the nation rationed gasoline. The game, which had been played in Philadelphia since 1932, faced the possibility of being canceled for that year. Despite such concerns, President Franklin D. Roosevelt believed it would be a morale booster and urged the two academies to play at Navy’s Thompson Stadium, a small 12,000-seat stadium. This marked the first time since 1893 that the Army–Navy Game was held in Annapolis. In the days leading up to the game, the situation was a far cry from past games, as only those living within a ten-mile radius of the Maryland State House were allowed admission. Naval Academy employees, significant others of the Midshipmen, and some press members were exceptions to this rule. Anyone with tickets to the game were required to sign a form declaring they lived within the radius and would not sell the tickets to others. On the practice field, the Midshipmen literally played behind covers to cover their game strategy. West Point’s traditional mules, Mr. Jackson and Pancho, were replaced by a stand-in from a nearby Annapolis farm named Jimmy.
On the morning of the game, the Office of Price Administration sent officers to the parking lot to inspect cars for anyone without tickets who may have attempted to get in. Inside the stadium, with only midshipmen present, half of the Brigade of Midshipmen was ordered to cheer for Army, using rally calls learned from books that the Military Academy sent. In the end, a stifling Navy defense shutout Army, preventing them from crossing the 50-yard line until the fourth quarter, en route to a 14–0 win.
In 1943, the game was moved to Army's Michie Stadium, the first game at West Point since 1892. Like the previous year, the ten-mile radius rule was in effect for 1943, meaning only 15,000 attended the game. Following within the footsteps of the 1942 Brigade of Midshipmen, half of the Cadets cheered for Navy during the game. Once again, the Midshipmen shutout the Cadets 13–0, extending their win streak to a then-high five games.
The 1944 game was considered the Game of the Century and a de facto national championship game as the 8–0 and #1 Cadets took on the 6–2 Midshipmen, ranked #2. Although the Army–Navy Game had been rotated between Michie Stadium and Thompson Stadium during the war, the hype leading up to the 1944 edition prompted game officials to move it to the much larger Municipal Stadium in Baltimore. The game also served as a war bond drive for the Maryland State War Finance Committee and the Department of the Treasury, who arranged for 20,000 seats to be sold in addition to bonds. Tickets, which went for more than $1,000 each, sold out within 24 hours and raised more than $58.6 million in bonds. Wounded veterans were allowed admission for free; also in attendance was WWII leader George Marshall. Optimism ran high for the game, with Grantland Rice expecting it to be "one of the best and most important football games ever played."
Despite the Cadets struggling in the turnover battle (throwing five interceptions and losing three fumbles), a stout defense and solid rushing game powered Army to a 23–7 victory and the national championship. A 43-minute silent reel of the game can be viewed here From the south Pacific, General and former Army team manager Douglas MacArthur submitted a telegram congratulating the Cadets on the win. "The greatest of all Army teams – STOP – We have stopped to war to celebrate your magnificent success. MacArthur."
War's End
When the war came to an end, it was a slow process getting the troops back home to America. While waiting, the military decided to offer some college-age soldiers an education at newly-formed "GI American Universities"; such campuses included the Shrivenham American University in England, a former British Army camp that had been converted into a school. To pass the time, students at these schools decided to set up football teams, consisting of professionals, college players, and high school graduates.
Back in the States, patriotism ran high among Americans, especially for the 1945 Army–Navy Game, held three months after Japan's surrender. This was especially noted in the game's program, featuring a midshipman and a cadet painting a V for victory. Moving back to Philadelphia, Municipal Stadium saw a crowd of over 100,000 (including President Harry Truman) for the game between #1 Army (8–0) and #2 Navy (7–0–1). Like in 1944, the 1945 Cadets were a juggernaut heading into the game; led by running backs and eventual Heisman Trophy winners Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard, the team recorded 412 and allowed just 46 points. However, Navy was also relentless in their quest for their first national title since 1926, recording shutouts in their first three games and outscoring all opponents by a combined score of 220–65. The first Army–Navy Game to be broadcast on live television, the Midshipmen were confident enough to bet their jerseys on the game. Unfortunately for Navy, they could not keep up with Davis and Blanchard in the first quarter as Army led 20–0. Navy attempted to fight back, but was unable to gain any ground as Army triumphed 32–13. Blaik described his team as "a whale of a team".
A year later, as players returned to their regular universities and eased back into civilian life, the Cadets' offensive production declined by 20 points per game, but remained a dominant force as they won yet another national championship with a 9–0–1 record. In Annapolis, the Midshipmen stumbled to a 1–8 record under head coach Tom Hamilton, but the 1946 Army–Navy Game proved to be a closer affair as Army won 21–18. Army would continue to be successful under Blaik until his retirement in 1958, while Navy floundered in the late 1940s with Hamilton and George Sauer. Eddie Erdelatz would turn the program back into a contender in the 1950s.
Outside of the service academies, the passing of the GI Bill and other economic opportunities helped grow college football. In less than two years after war's end, the amount of schools fielding football teams grew by 66 percent.
Seven decades after the end of the war, it still remains a vivid part of the service academies. In 2016, Air Force donned shark-faced helmets and gray uniforms as a nod to the Flying Tigers, a group of American pilots fighting alongside the Chinese Air Force against Japan in the Pacific theater. For the Army–Navy Game later in the year, Army wore a tribute uniform to the 82nd Airborne Division, who participated in various invasion operations in Europe, including those at Sicily and Normandy, while the back of Navy's helmets featured a Pearl Harbor Memorial sticker to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the attack. The Black Knights went on to snap their 14-year losing streak with a 21–17 victory.
In World War II, 16.1 million Americans served. A fraction of that 16.1 million played college football, and even fewer played on a service team. There are probably many more service teams that I missed out on, whether it be due to my struggles to dig even deeper into the history books or a lack of documentation in the first place.
As I stated earlier, it's fascinating to read about these teams, formed on a whim to give soldiers some sort of physical training, be so successful in the college football world. We probably won't be seeing the return of service teams unless World War III breaks out, but sporting events on military bases will remain a popular activity, war or not.
Thanks for reading!
submitted by ZappaOMatic to CFB [link] [comments]

Ep. 11: The Disappearance of Sherri Vanessa Holland

Listen on SoundCloud | Website


Editor's Note

This episode contains some experiments. I was so focused on research and writing for this episode that I forgot to mention any of the following on the recording. Please let me know via the post comments, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook or VOICEMAIL (another experiment I'll announce in an upcoming episode) at 724-24-CRIME.
  1. The title: I've been trying to put as many victims' names in the title as I can but at some point it just becomes too long. This time I'm focusing the title on the featured cold case. This partially to prevent crazy-long titles and partially to bring extra attention to the featured cold case because most if not all of the other crimes discussed are either under active investigation or have been solved and are awaiting prosecution.
  2. I read the intro this week instead of using the creepy augmented voice I've used previously.
  3. I've added bumpers between main segments of the show. It's a few notes of melancholy, mysterious-sounding strings taken from Ofelia's Dream by Benjamin Tissot.
  4. No background music in this episode.


Welcome to True Crime Review, an unflinching gaze into the depths of human depravity.
The podcast covers current crime news, updates on cold cases and resources for research and investigation.
True Crime Review often discusses disturbing and violent crimes, so listener discretion is advised.


The following awesome people left five-star review on iTunes recently:
Thanks to everyone who has left a review, I read them all and take the feedback into consideration, even when it hurts. Especially when it hurts. But the five-star reviews will always get a quick shout-out here because who doesn't love getting five stars for something they've done?

Show Updates


We have a Patreon! As soon as I have my first patron I'm going to start doing a Patreon-exclusive extra episode every month. Just $1 a month gets you access to that feed. That money will always go into the podcast and you can read more about how over at the Patreon page,
Find other ways to support us, including using our Amazon affiliate link, which costs you NOTHING, at

Update on Chris Zahl, covered in Ep. 4

Someone named Rich Laue posted the following comment on the YouTube video of episode 4:
As a friend of Chris Zahl I can add a little more. He had found an out of the way field in a Monmouth County Park off of Red Hill Road about 2 miles from the farm, to grow his weed.. He contended this was for medical research, but spent time in jail. The PI, hired by Friends of Chris, feels his disappearance is related to the pot growing, considering that all they found was the items you mentioned, almost ones costly felt it was murder. The car had been sanitized, no dirt, hair or fingerprints could be found to identify who he might have been with or where the vehicle might have gone. . His brother is not a suspect, the farm was thoroughly searched, including the pond. The mother who our lives there husband's has since sold the farm and lives in Red Bank. Texas also was brought into the investagation, but I'm not sure why.
Go have a listen to Episode 4 for more info and while you're there you can read the info I included in the original story I did on Chris Zahl.

Podcast Recommendation

This time the podcast recommendation is Crime in Sports by comedians James Pietragallo & Jimmie Whisman. While I was born and raised in a football household (Go Eagles!) and played baseball and basketball for years (very poorly), I'm not that into sports. (Sorry Dad). BUT when you combine sports with true crime you have my attention. Pietragallo and Whisman always bring serious research to the table and manage to be funny without disrespecting the victims. So, even if you're not a fan of sportsball, give Crime in Sports a try. It's a great listen and because of the show's premise it's likely to cover a lot of crimes you've never heard about on the broader true crime podcast circuit.
Find Crime in Sports on AudioBoom, Podbean, iTunes, Facebook and Twitter.


Human Garbage of the Week

Anthony Showers of Anfield, Liverpool, Merseyside in the United Kingdom, was sentenced to life in prison, with a 29-year-minimum. On June 12, 2016 he broke into the home of mother and daughter Karen and Jade Hales, 53 and 28 years old respectively, by breaking a rear bedroom window. Showers had dated Jade on and off but was banned from her home by a court order following a domestic abuse incident. He began by killing their dog with a hammer.
Showers then took the hammer to Jade, hitting her in the head 12 times and then, either while she was dying or very soon after she was dead, Showers raped her. Afterward, he found Karen downstairs. The mother was a stroke survivor who used a walker and depended on Jade for day-to-day care. He beat her to death with the same hammer he had used on her daughter.
Jade's 21-year-old sister Amanda told the court:
The day she met Anthony saw Jade change from a fun-loving young woman to a scared, frail person. I watched him take every last piece of her until there was no more to take.
Anthony Showers is the worthless stinking rancid putrid Human Garbage of the Week. My heart breaks for Jade, Karen, Amanda and all of the other people Showers hurt.


This episode's resource is an app called Safety Central by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Available on both iOS and Android, the app is a simple but potentially powerful all parents should take a look at. Here's a quote from the app's iTunes description:
Developed by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, the leading nonprofit in the fight to keep children safe, Safety Central is designed to make sure that parents have the tools they need to help them protect their families and act quickly should their children go missing.
At the core of Safety Central is a digital Child ID Kit. One of the most important tools for law enforcement when searching for a missing child is an up-to-date, good quality photo along with descriptive information. A Child ID kit is a simple yet effective way to keep those tools right at your fingertips. The app, which does not share any of your personal information, reminds you when it's time to update your photos and allows you to store potentially life-saving information about your children in an easily accessible location.
Get Safety Central free for iOS or Android and visit the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at

Cold Case: Sherri Vanessa Holland

[post at truecrimereview]
We discussed the murder of Sherri Holland by Steven Spears in Episode 9, but as one blogger notesthe disappearance of Sherri Vanessa Holland involved a different woman altogether. So we're going to cover that in this episode.
Please note that while I have rewritten what follows and added and subtracted elements of the story, most of the info comes from the Charley Project and the tireless work of Meaghan Good.


According to the Charley Project, Sherri Vanessa Holland was born on May 9, 1962 and was 34 years old when she was reported missing on August 16, 1996. She is a white woman with blonde hair, blue eyes, weighed 115 pounds and was 5 feet 5 inches tall when she disappeared. She has a scar on her left arm and pierced ears. Holland had cosmetic facial surgery in 1995. Some agencies may refer to her as Vanessa Sherri Holland.
Sherri was in Flager Beach, Florida where she owned a vacation property, preparing to return home to Atlanta, Georgia when she was last seen between 11:30 AM and 12:00 PM. Her sisters reported her missing when she didn't arrive in Atlanta. Her vehicle, a gold- or champagne-colored 1987 BMW 325i with Georgia plate BKT664, was discovered on August 24 (according to the GBI) or 25, 1996 near exit 76 between Macon and Atlanta Georgia. It was found on I-75 northbound in Morrow, Georgia. It had a flat as a result of a nail in the front right tire.
An Atlanta-Journal Constitution article dated August 20, 2001 says Sherri's car was a 1985 model year BMW so it's not clear which year is correct. It's worth noting the same article states Sherri was last heard from on August 16, 1995 even though GBI records and all other sources state that the year was 1996. Bottom line is it seems like the AJC article wasn't fact-checked very carefully, so keep that in mind.
Two miles from the car, in Riverdale, Georgia near the Stratford Arms apartments, her dogs were found in a field. Sadly one of them had died after being hit by traffic, but one of them was rescued and went to live with twin Sherri's sister Terri. A resident of the Stratford Arms told police the surviving dog, named Gracie, had tried to get him to follow her into a wooded area across the street from the Stratford Arms. However, further investigation revealed no evidence about Sherri.
There must have been other search sites though. According to that dubious AJC article, as many as "seven searches of woods, ponds and a vacant warehouse, some with cadaver dogs, within a three-mile radius of Holland's car turned up nothing."
An anonymous tipster told investigators Sherri was seen near her car loading luggage into a white pickup truck on the day she vanished. Further investigation revealed no additional evidence and police could not corroborate the tip.
Sherri was apparently operating an escort service called Atlanta Super Models out of her house the year she disappeared and her business partner told investigators during interview that they had been in business since 1992 and he believed her murder was related to their work. The business partner spoke of her in the past tense. He claimed she had set up video surveillance around the escort service's property and caught both employees and clients on video, later blackmailing them. The business partner claimed he had many people discuss killing Sherri.
Sherri had started dating a married man in 1989.
The man and his wife separated briefly in 1990 but eventually got back together. Sherri and the boyfriend had planned to marry in December 1996 but the boyfriend got cold feet and stayed with his wife. Apparently, at least according to the boyfriend, his wife never knew about his affair with Sherri.
He told police he and Sherri had argued about their relationship before she left for her vacation home in Florida. Having parted ways without resolving the argument, Sherri paged him around 11:30 AM and when he called her back she told him she would call when she got back to Atlanta. That was the last time he ever spoke to her.
Several people told investigators Sherri was depressed about things with her boyfriend and wanted out of the escort business. She had apparently mentioned Europe as an escape destination. Someone later gave authorities a recording phone call from September 1996 in which one of Sherri's sisters says to an unidentified second person that it's possible Sherri staged her own disappearance and escaped to Europe or elsewhere to start over.
A user going by the name anewday and claiming to have been an employee of Sherri's posted on the missing persons forum Porchlight and suspects Sherri's business partner, whom Anewday calls Jim:
I remember Sherri very well. She was beautiful, sweet and had a very sophisticated aire. I love this picture of her and Gracie (when she was a puppy). I worked for her for four years, but mostly knew her through her "business partner." The whole time I worked there, she had very little to do with the business and was out of town a lot of the time.
I told the GBI everything that I knew about her and her disappearance, including the fact that Jim had acted extremely nervous and sketchy during the days following her disappearance. I don't believe for one second that she was using video to blackmail her employees or their clients. If anyone did that, it was Jim. He had a whole suspicious backstory of who he was and where he came from. I'm fairly sure his name wasn't Jim, either.
When he told me about her disappearance, he said she probably just wanted to leave town to get away from her life, and also, to make her boyfriend worry about her. It was well known that she was devastated about their relationship problems.
I never trusted anything about Jim. He would say terrible things about her, but at the same time, pretty much lived on her dime and the business she had started. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he finally decided to "take" the business all for himself. It was very profitable, and being that it was all under the table, he probably figured no one would take much notice.
I look online year after year to see if anything has come of the case. She was (hopefully IS) such a vibrant person. She positively radiated with life. I hope she IS living in Europe and is finally happy. God bless you Sherri.
Anewday created their forum account on the same day that they posted this message and never posted anything else at Porchlight, so this info should probably be taken with a whole shaker of salt.


Now we'll discuss all of the motives I found in my research or came up with myself to make Sherri disappear. This section should probably be called "suspects" but I'm not in a position to suggest anyone is guilty of anything so I'm reluctant to call it that.
These next two motives are weak but I'm including them for the sake of being thorough:

My Theory

I wish I had a good theory on this one but first I'll tell you what I think did not happen. I don't think Sherri ran away to Europe or was murdered by Gary Michael Hilton. I also don't see her boyfriend or his wife getting involved in a disappearance or murder without drawing significant attention from investigators and I couldn't find anything that named them as suspects or made more than a brief mention about them. It's hard for me to believe a couple who could barely keep their marriage in tact managed to commit the perfect murder and haven't been suspected of it during the twenty year since.
Now, as for the two possibilities that look most likely to me:
If you have information about Sherri Vanessa Holland, contact Morrow Police at 770-960-3003 or the GBI Tip Line at 1-800-597-8477.

Cold Case Sources

These are listed in no particular order. I include both original source links and links, which preserve the page in case it is ever edited or deleted. I also add all my sources to the Wayback Machine on but you'll have to do those searches yourself.


Our theme song is Our Planet is Lost by Entropy Audio. The bumper is a clip from Ofelia's Dream by


Thanks for listening to this episode of True Crime Review. Find us on Facebook and Instagram at truecrimereview, on reddit at truecrimereview and on Twitter at truecrimerev.
Go to true crime review dot net slash subscribe to subscribe and get all of our new episodes when they're released. Please also leave a review in iTunes or wherever you listen to the podcast because helps us move up the charts and get more listeners.
This is your host Joe, signing off of this episode of True Crime Review. Until next time remember, families deserve truth, and victims deserve voices.
submitted by truecrimereview to truecrimereview [link] [comments]

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority is the licensee to operate Monmouth Park. In 2018, after PASPA was repealed, it awarded a five-year contract to racing giant TVG, which powers betting via the 4NJBETS platform New Jersey gamblers use. TVG also offers New Jersey harness racing from the Meadowlands and Freehold in New Jersey. The Monmouth Park Racetrack was the state’s first to offer legal New Jersey sports betting to the region’s many gambling happy inhabitants and visitors. Although the state’s other major racetracks at the Meadowlands and Freehold Raceway also offer legal betting options now, Monmouth Park will forever hold onto the crown as the first to Sports betting began in New Jersey in June. Borgata casino and Monmouth Park racetrack were the first to take sports bets, but others have soon followed in anticipation of a busy NFL betting season Place Sports Bet . Make your sports bets onsite at the Monmouth Park Sports Book by William Hill or online by downloading the William Hill NJ mobile sports app. Bet $50, Get $50. Use Promo Code MP50 to receive a risk-free $50 bet. Using MP50 also supports Monmouth Park and horse racing in New Jersey. New Jersey Opens Legal Sports Betting at Monmouth Park and Borgata Casino, Just in Time for FIFA World Cup. Posted on: June 14, 2018, 05:00h. Last updated on: June 14, 2018, 04:14h.

[index] [2085] [6276] [4137] [7461] [2124] [11566] [3809] [11216] [12084] [2757]